LaPaz County Family Calendar of Events

About LaPaz County

State & County Facts from U.S. Census Bureau

 

Quartzsite
History/ Websites/
Newspapers/ Sites to See/Books/Manuscripts/Weather

"The town of Quartzsite is located on the site of old Fort Tyson, a privately owned fort built in 1856 by Charles Tyson for protection against Indians. Because of the water which existed at this place, Tyson's Wells soon became a stage station on  the road from Ehrenburg to Prescott. In 1875 Martha Summerhayes described this place as being the most melancholy and uninviting that she had ever seen, saying that it "reeks of everything unclean, morally and physically..."

Although Hinton lists Tyson's as being the same place as Los Posos, maps show that the tow were seperate, Los Posos lying about four miles to the east of Tyson's. Gradually as the stage lines disappeared, Tyson's Wells was abandoned.

In 1897, the development of mining in the area resulted in a small boom. It was reported that Tyson's Wells had three stores, two saloons, and a short-lived post office. Apparently when it became necessary to re-open the post office because of renewed mining activity, a new name had to be found since the post office did not permit offices to re-open the post office under formerly used names. Therefore, George Ingersoll suggested the name Quartzsite, since quartzsite is actually found in the vicinity, but quartz is not. However, the post office in error apparently added an "s" to the name. The resulting "Quartzsite" erroneously implies that quartz is found locally. Actually Quartzsite is approximately nine miles east of the old Tyson's Wells which lay nineteen miles from Ehrenberg. Therefore, a different name was doubly suited.

Travelers through Quartzsite today may visit the grave of Hadji Ali, who was a camel driver for Lt. Edward Fitzgerald Beale on his trip across Arizona. Hadji Ali (b. Syria c. 1829; d. December 16, 1902) who was known as Phillip Tedro in later years, came to Arizona as a camel driver in 1856. When camels were abandoned for use of transportation of supplies, Tedro kept several animals and used them to haul freight in southern Arizona. He was then living in Arizona City (now known as Yuma). In 1868 he turned the animals loose near Gila Bend. For many years it was reported that camels were seen in the mountains and other parts of southwestern Arizona. The simple headboard for his grave was replaced by the present stone monument and plaque in 1934. His name has been anglicized to "Hi Jolly".

P.O. Est. as Tyson's June 6, 1893. Discontinued September 21, 1895. P.O. est. September 19, 1896.
 

Barnes, Will C.; Granger, Byrd (ed.)Arizona Place Names, University of Arizona Press. 1960 p. 384

Back to Top

Websites

Arizona Department of Commerce Community Profiles- Quartzsite, Arizona

Quartzsite, Arizona Local Government Homepage

Quartzsite, Arizona Chamber of Commerce

Back to Top

Newspapers Quartzsite Times

Back to Top

Sites to See

Quartzsite Public Library

Books/Manuscripts found in the ASU Library Catalog

Gold deposits near Quartzsite, Arizona / by Edward L. Jones, Jr.
TN413.A7 J64x 1915

Quartzsite Arizona, no ordinary place : a mini-history / by Leland Feitz ; with photographs by Billie Casey.
F819 .Q3 F4x

Snowbird mating season / Bernita Jackson Brown ; illustrated by Paul Winer ; [edited by Jerra Davis and Jean Long].
HQ1063 .B76x 1992
 

Back to Top


hosted by NetServeOnSite

updated: